Leighton Corinthian FC Pipers U13 0:3 Halse United FC U13 Saturday 6th May
Hard fought victory for U13 as a Garrett hat-trick in 5 first half minutes keeps their fight for 2nd place alive into the last game.
Leighton Corinthians FC Pipers U13 0:3 Halse United FC U13 Saturday 6th May 11-a-side MKDDL
Halse were at full strength to take on a strong Pipers team that previously won in the cup, and come back from 3:1 down to draw 3:3 at The Farm in the league. This was going to be a tough test, and it proved to be just that. In the end, LCP remained disciplined and continued to create chances, to put pressure on a solid Halse team, but one of the most mature footballing performances of the season saw Halse take the victory and extend their fight for second place to the last game of the season.
• Halse starting line-up had a familiar look with Muxlow, in goal. Brice, Silman, Wakeling, but Mullholland regaining the starting left back position, with Maud dropping to the bench Greenaway and Capel offered a defensive screen in midfield, with Cross, Haskins and Rayner, were the offensive midfield, and Garrett up front.
• Halse started with the familiar tactic looking to release Garrett, but the LCP defence remained disciplined and Halse only ended up conceding a succession of off-sides against Garrett.
• Garrett makes break-through on 26 minutes. Haskins putting the LCP left back under pressure and winning a throw. He was quick to spot an opportunity and released Garrett with a quick throw. He still had plenty to do, but drove across the LCP 6 yrd box and finally tucked the ball into the net for 1:0
• Almost immediately after it was 2:0. This time Cross winning the ball in mid-field and threading a ball through for Garrett to run on to. This time on side, Garrett showed characteristic pace to get away from the retreating defenders and fired low into the net.
• LCP almost got back in it, but their break saw a long range shot, wide of Muxlow’s left post.
• Garrett was at it again on 29 minutes. This time Maud won the ball back and laid it off to Cross. He found Capel, who lifted another through ball for Garrett to run onto. This time he had to keep his composure to tuck the ball past the advancing keeper for 3:0
• Halse kept their substitutes to a minimum in the first half as LCP were clearly dangerous. They continued to create chances, but a resolute defence was keeping the shots to long range efforts, or through balls smothered by Muxlow.
• At the other end, Halse chances were drying up as the LCP midfield dug in to stop the offensive passes through.
• The second half was tense for Halse supporters. As with previous encounters LCP neutralised the Halse offense, but Halse were doing the same to LCP. It seemed a goal either way could still have a bearing on the outcome, but none were to come.
• Capel took MoM with another sterling display in mid field. He was strong in his tackles and guided the team to victory by controlling the play and eventually taking the sting out of the LCP defence.
LEIGHTON CORINTHIANS FC PIPERS U13
Shots On Target: 5
Shots Off Target: 9
HALSE UNITED FC U13
GOALS: Garrett (6, 27, 29)
Shots On Target: 9
Shots Off Target: 9